It is the programs belief that individuals will rise to the expectations that are set for them. If they have been told they are flawed and not workable they will act accordingly. If we label them they will live up to the labels we give them. KWLR’s belief is that we need to look at each individual and family’s potential and strengths, not their limitations. We need to look at each individual’s talents and help them develop these talents further. We also believe that through therapy, hard work, personal responsibility, team building, and self-esteem building activities, the individual and family will be given the opportunity for change. It is our belief that staff need to treat the students with respect and care in order to create a therapeutic environment. KWLR also believes that empowering the parents and getting them to be a strong unit will also provide success for the overall family
It is the family’s responsibility to be present for the therapy offered through the ranch. The family needs to take responsibility for their faulty interaction patterns with a desire to fix them. The families are responsible for their own success as a family and how they use the information presented to them through the program. It is the family’s responsibility to carry the proper attitudes that will help them accomplish tasks together on the ranch.
Goals to Accomplish Vision
- To provide families the opportunity to change.
- To provide an environment where a therapeutic experience can happen.
- To provide parents with parenting instruction appropriate to their parenting needs.
- To provide individual, group and family therapy to all adolescents and families in the program.
- To provide experiential therapy activities through hikes, the cattle ranch, and work projects.
- To provide a unique ranch experience for the each family and adolescent.
- To provide reunification for those families that need it.
- To provide a safe environment.
- To provide couples therapy for those that need it.
- To provide follow up care and instruction for the families and adolescents as they return home.
- To provide success that families can build on.